Linux / Unix desktop fun: gti get jeep/car when you mistype git
source link: https://www.cyberciti.biz/linux-news/linux-unix-desktop-fun-gti-get-jeep-car-when-you-mistype-git/
Go to the source link to view the article. You can view the picture content, updated content and better typesetting reading experience. If the link is broken, please click the button below to view the snapshot at that time.
O ne of the most common mistakes developers and ops people make is typing gti instead of git command. I set an alias i.e. alias gti=git, but then you may miss out on the jeep/car on your screen.
Install gti software to get jeep/car
gti is nothing but humorous typo-based git runner. It drives a car over the terminal. Type the followingapt command/apt-get command on a Debian / Ubuntu Linux after enabling gti viaadd-apt-repository
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mamantoha/gti sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gti
Fedora Linux user type the following dnf command:
sudo dnf install gti
Execute the following brew command on a macOS Unix desktop:
brew install gti
Run the following pkg_add command command on a OpenBSD:
doas pkg_add -v gti
FreeBSD user type the following pkg command:
sudo pkg_add -v gti
Arch Linux user try the pacman command:
sudo pacman -S gti-git
A note about source code installation
Type the following commands, but install C compilers if not installed on your Linux system:
- Ubuntu Linux Install GNU GCC Compiler and Development Environment
- Debian Linux Install GNU GCC Compiler and Development Environment
- CentOS / RHEL 7: Install GCC (C and C++ Compiler) and Development Tools
- Download and Install C, C++ Compiler on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (RHEL)
- Mac OS X: Install GCC Compiler with Xcode
Next, Grab source code using the git command
$ git clone https://github.com/rwos/gti.git $ cd gti $ make $ sudo make install
I just mistypes git command as gti:
$ gti command $ gti clone https://github.com/nixcraft/domain-check-2.git
As you might have guessed by now, gti is intended to catch accidental typos of ‘gti’ instead of ‘git’. It displays an animation of a car driving by and then launches git. Any parameters or arguments given to gti will be passed through to the actual git binary. The car image is derived from the look of an old VW Golf GTI.
Linux/Unix environment variables supported by gti
Set GIT so that gti command respects the $GIT environment variable. If GIT is set, its value will be used to launch git after the animation finishes, instead of searching for git in your PATH:
export GIT=/opt/bin/git gti clone foo
Want to control the speed of the gti command animation? Set GTI_SPEED (the default is 1000):
GTI_SPEED=2000 gti push .. GTI_SPEED=2000 gti pull .. GTI_SPEED=4000 gti clone ..
And there you have it, gti a silly git launcher, basically inspired by sl command that displays train . However, gti displays animations (jeep or car in the shell) aimed to correct users who accidentally enter gti instead of git for fun and profit. If you enjoyed this desktop fun app, you might also like to use the following apps on Linux:
- Christmas Tree For Your Terminal
- Cat And Mouse Chase All Over Your Screen
- Bastet Tetris(r) clone with block-choosing AI for console
- The Digital Rain: Simulates the display from "The Matrix"
- sl – a mirror version of ls
- Summon Swarms Of Penguins To Waddle About The Desktop
- Run Steam Locomotive On Your Desktop
- Let it Snow On Your Desktop
- Text Mode Box and Comment Drawing
- Gti show jeep or car in the shell when mistyped git
Aggregate valuable and interesting links.
Joyk means Joy of geeK